Fueling up

bassher

Cadet
I have a 2003 Triton 173 Sport (aluminum bass boat trailered)with an eighteen gallon tank. When I try to gas up I can only get a second click out of the pump. Thus it takes about five minutes to pump a gallon. The last time fueling up, after two gallons the hose filled and wouldn't let me pump any more with out spilling gas all over the place. Very frustrating. I've tried a five gallon can with no better luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fueling up

Make sure on both, that the tank vents are clear and open, espicially on your built-in tank. Odd on a portable tank, though..does this happen at all service stations?

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check to make sure your fuel hose is free of kinks, and the vent hose is the same.Can't think of anything else it might be.<br /><br /> Jim

bassher

Cadet

Thanks,<br />I checked the vent and the hose has no kinks. That's why I'm puzzled.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Something must be restricting the fuel flow.<br /><br />You may have to remove the fuel fill hose and check to see if something is stuck inside, or just inside the tank fitting.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bassher,had the same problem myself a few years ago.Turned out to be spider webs in the vent line on my inboard tank.Had to blow it out with air and do it now every spring.With the 5 gallon tank,the vents have a cork gasket,guess what was plugging that one.Your right.cork.Simple to check these but a PITA if you don't.Hope this helps ya.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Has it been this way since new? If so the big hose most likely has a very sharp bend in it near the fuel fill fitting, you may not be able to do anything about this due to the hull design and how they installed the hose, when you say 5 gal can do you mean trying to fill the on board tank using a 5 gal can? If so then it's the same problem, do you have access to the entire fuel fill hose so you can see if there is a bend?

bassher

Cadet

I have access to the entire fill hose and the vent hose. Both have a slight downward arch, about 4". I think a try to strapping the hose up and see what happens. I have had this problem since buying the boat.

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure if you strap it up that it still has a downward slope, you don't want any fuel laying in the hose. Does your vent hose go to a separate through fitting? If so you should be able to feel air being pushed out while filling, if not then take the line off at the fitting and blow through, should be able to hear air going into the tank, if not then a restriction in the hose or at the tank connection.

bassher

Cadet

Thanks for the pointers, I resolved the problem. Both hoses were bowed below the intake on the tank and I found gas was sitting in the intake hose. The vent hose was also full of gas. I cut three inches from both hoses to get rid of the sag and now she fuels right up. A problem that the manufacturer should take notice of.<br />Again Thank you.

cdivrmike

Seaman

I had a similiar problem with my boat when fueling it. I poured some sta-bil in before fueling and didn't realize that the sta-bil went down the vent line which is connected to the fill line and this made fueling up impossible. I thought that maybe I was at a bad angle so I moved the boat to a different pump that would put me at a different angle and still couldnt get any fuel in the tank. I then moved to a differents gas station down the street that was on a hill and tried it there and couldnt get in more than .40 cents in it, I could see gas sitting in the fill tube now so I got out the air compressor and blew it down. Now it works great.