Fuel/water separator

Kender

Seaman Apprentice
I am sure this has been gone over before but either my search skills need a remedial class or the forum issues are giving me problems. This is for a 17ft Sunbird fish and ski (v-hull open bow) with a 1978 140hp Johnson. It has been recommended to me by two people to put a fuel/water separator on my boat. I will be filling up at the same gas stations as I use for my car since the boat is trailer kept. What brands are good and which ones should be avoided? Do I just need one of the filter types or one with the water drain on the bottom?

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I like the cheap, simple ones. The canisters are about $8 and are avail at Wallyworld.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If installing a good water separator system money can buy in which cost is not an issue, would the ones with water drain at bottom be the ones to go for compared to others ?

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
My boat has a 12 gallon red polyethylene "portable" fuel tank...not much room for a lot of water debris/etc.in the tank, and easy enough to dump the tank and rinse it out clean....now for larger/built-in tanks that can't be easily removed for cleaning I'd say the clear plastic drain bowls would make more sense, but either rig would work for you but the Attwood/Walmart unit is pretty darn effective for the price$$$.....I've been running one for over 10 years and it works very well....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I do not like the separators with the clear bottoms, because there are two gaskets, so leaks can be more common, the elements are not avail everywhere, and the cost is higher for the elements. Just my opinion.

I find the one piece metal spin on separators work real well. Empty them into a clear container at midseason, and if there is little water, you can reinstall them. Change at the end of the season.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There are two things I never go cheap on, fuel filters and tires.

The metal can type work well if you like breaking down and adrift before you realize you have a water problem. Really easy to take off and refill when your drifting and don't forget your spare gaskets for when you have to dump and drain it out on the high seas. But hey... you saved a couple of bucks....lol

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There are two things I never go cheap on, fuel filters and tires.

The metal can type work well if you like breaking down and adrift before you realize you have a water problem. Really easy to take off and refill with when your drifting. And don'tt forget your spare gaskets for when you have to dump and drain it out on the high seas. But hey... you saved a couple of bucks....lol