Fuel/Water separator

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just replaced my fuel/water separator and also the primer bulb and the line to the outboard/fuel separator without a hitch.<br /><br />What I'm wondering and this might sound like a dumb question but this was something that I noticed when removing the separator.<br /><br />Upon removal there was like a "red'ish" color coming out of the line and also the separator itself. <br /><br />On to my question: <br /><br />If the separator is clogged/faulty, what would the symptoms be? Could it cause lack of top end?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /> Tim

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel/Water separator

Moving to Boats.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

How old is the fuel? I have seen fuel look like brown orange juice and smell like turpenting - motors don't like that.<br /><br />Be attentive to fuel in the bilge as the color may also indicate rust in the fuel tank - if it is steel.

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fuel now is brand new, however, the fuel that it did have in it was approx 3 months old. I suspect that the fuel/water separator was pretty darn old and no telling how many tanks of fuel it's been through --- hence why I swapped it.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't speak for the US but in Canada boat gas (or any gas without road tax) is dyed red so the tax people can chase you if you put it in your car. It leaves a red stain behind as the gas dries (great for finding leaks). If water got in there it could be rust though.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, your question: Sure, a clogged filter could cause a lousy top end if the engine can't get enough fuel. You changed it though - did the problem go away?

tteal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

airman,<br /> Not sure if the problem went away ---- might know tomorrow after dropping boat in the water :) I'll post back up and let everyone know what the outcome is.