fuel / water separator

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok, i have a 93 4.3 and my friend has a 94 - 4.3, essentially the same motors. he's having a fuel pump problem and it looks like it goes with the one i had. we both bought fresh water vessels that probably never seen rough water before, and now run them in salt, tides, currents and such.

i added a fuel/water separator a few weeks back and didn't remove the "inline" metal canister that is below the fuel pump and attached to the motor via a bracket.

he needs to add a separator and now we're wondering if this metal "inline" canister needs to be removed, or left on.

i left mine on, should I of removed it? the fuel line comes in from the tank, goes through this aluminum filter and then into the bottom of the pump. when adding a separator, are you suppose to take eliminate this stock filter?

if i write in circles i'm sorry, but ya'll keep my boat in top running condition so something is working.

thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel / water separator

The Stock In-line Metal Canister IS a Water Seperating Filter.......

Having 2 Shouldn't Matter.......As long as Neither are Plugged............

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

You should not run two 10 micron filters in line on EFI engines. It can starve the low pressure fuel pumps and cause the engine to also starve for fuel.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok ya'll, let me ask this and im not being a smart azzzzzz

mercruiser wants 120 beans for that metal canister filter

my guess is get rid of it, and put the nice ones in that you can change the filter for 10 bucks every so often

plus i believe i saw ones with actual drain cocks at the bottom

i felt hesitation in my boat since adding it, but i also had another prop i was testing.

what have others done? removed mercs and put in the "aftermarket" filtered inlines they sell, the one like i have that looks like an oil filter?

i was just at a dealer a week ago and they wanted 120 for that canister.

i didnt doubt them, i figured it goes along with the normal wonderful costs it takes to run like i do

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

this is my serial number and i have the separator before the metal canister - Motor - D834402

im assuming i need to remove this mercruiser part

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

My dealer charges ten bucks for the filter. Are you sure they're not quoting you for the entire filter assembly?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Is item #12 the canister you are refering to? If so that is the fuel filter and list price on it is less than 50 dollars. If you are running the aftermarkrt screw on fuel/water seperator I wolud recommend removing the origional filter. Just be sure you plumb it with the correct fittings.

13.gif

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, it almost looks like it, the elbo coming out the top is just straight and coming out the bottom

so what your saying us that it's ok to replace that OEM in-line fuel filter OE#35-80531T completely with filter that resembles an oil filter?

i would rather have the aftermarket if i can run it with this serial number motor - Motor - D834402

the canister inline from the dealer is only sold as assembly for some reason now, it was $120

atleast thats what they told me. im wondering if this motor can have the other one or does it need the mercruiser canister only..........

thanks

Bondo

Staff member

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.................................

That's a Strange Looking Creature.............................

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, and why does it have to be my motor that has it..........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Basically, what your dealer did was tell you what the kit costs that replaces that filter. The kit (PN 35-807172 A1) replaces that filter and uses the standard $10 spin on fuel filter that eveyone here is talking about.
The filter like you now have is NLA, so you can't even get it if you wanted to.

shelikesit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

right on, thanks, he didnt show me the picture. i'll do some searches on that part number and see whats the difference between , mercruiser pn and the $60 stainless aftermarket.

as always, thanks to everyone for helping me get to the bottom of all this.

here you go, a comparison

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/fuelFilter.pdf