Fuel vent issues 4.5L 250hp Mercruiser

Jnels11

Recruit
When I try to fill up my 2018 Chaparral 21 H2O with a 4.5L 250hp Mercruiser I have to fill it up super slow as the back pressure trips the pump handle. It’s to the point that I have to let the fuel trickle in. Has anyone had this issue? I have read others having issues with a vent tube my vent tube connects to some kind of canister. My thought is that this is a charcoal filter of some kind but have not seen one on a boat before was not able to find much about it online. Could this filter be the cause of my issue? Anyone with this setup have a similar issue and how did you remedy the issue?

Attachments

• DB90C752-67D5-4B7C-9A3C-29A8CA0D56FA.jpeg
    DB90C752-67D5-4B7C-9A3C-29A8CA0D56FA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13

Fun Times

Staff member
Looking up the part number of the EPA Certified Carbon Canister that meets EPA diurnal emission control requirements shows it's an Atwood Marine product... Inside the link at the top there looks like an installation guide you could try downloading as maybe it will help show if it's installed correctly, etc...

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
the canister is to remove it and then put some air in it and the canister is blocked up flow .. or the canister is the air filter vent or the hose is distorted
use the air pressure ....

I did my old vehicles and the gas has a gas pump valve on the gas station ...
my gm truck had the vent valve to replace it ..

canister is around 140 bucks

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
When I try to fill up my 2018 Chaparral 21 H2O with a 4.5L 250hp Mercruiser I have to fill it up super slow as the back pressure trips the pump handle. It’s to the point that I have to let the fuel trickle in. Has anyone had this issue? I have read others having issues with a vent tube my vent tube connects to some kind of canister. My thought is that this is a charcoal filter of some kind but have not seen one on a boat before was not able to find much about it online. Could this filter be the cause of my issue? Anyone with this setup have a similar issue and how did you remedy the issue?
REMOVE CANISTER AND TRY BLOWING THROUGH HOSE. Mud Dobers are bad here about plugging air vents. The screens might need replacing too.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Think this is quite a common issue. Or it has been for me with any North American boat I’ve had. Often had a blast of fuel in the face as a result. Found it best to start off slowly and find a nozzle position that doesn’t try and seal the fill hole by only sticking the nozzle in a little of the way.

Jnels11

Recruit
Looking up the part number of the EPA Certified Carbon Canister that meets EPA diurnal emission control requirements shows it's an Atwood Marine product... Inside the link at the top there looks like an installation guide you could try downloading as maybe it will help show if it's installed correctly, etc...
Thank you for sending this over. I believe mine was mounted where the hose from the tank is on the high side and the hose to the p-trap is on the low side (opposite of instructions). Might have to mess around with it and also make sure lines aren’t plugged.

Jnels11

Recruit
REMOVE CANISTER AND TRY BLOWING THROUGH HOSE. Mud Dobers are bad here about plugging air vents. The screens might need replacing too.
I hate those things and they are bad. I’ll have to take it apart and see

Jnels11

Recruit
Think this is quite a common issue. Or it has been for me with any North American boat I’ve had. Often had a blast of fuel in the face as a result. Found it best to start off slowly and find a nozzle position that doesn’t try and seal the fill hole by only sticking the nozzle in a little of the way.
I even tried that and still nothing. I think it took close to 20 minutes to get 20 gallons of gas in it. Needless to say I was not a happy camper….

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I even tried that and still nothing. I think it took close to 20 minutes to get 20 gallons of gas in it. Needless to say I was not a happy camper….
the boat mechanic to have to inspect the fuel tank items ...
you put the gasoline in the tank and it is a very low amount ..fix it ..

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Something isn’t right there my brother has a 2020 Chapparal 21SSI with the same engine & does not have that problem….

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Maybe a dip in your vent line that acts like a p-trap. My buddies boat has this issue. He simply puts a tube in or over the vent and blows the vent line clear before fueling. Solved his problem