fuel / tune up questions

blgrams

Seaman Apprentice
just finished rebuilding my 40 HP 1991 johnson. both cylinders bored new o.s. pistons. rebuilt carbs. replaced VRO with standard fuel pump. new water pump. rebuilt crank. new reed blocks. <br /><br />took it out on the lake last night for the first time. I am using 25:1 oil to gas ratio. I had to open the low speed jets a full 1/2-3/4 turn beyond the starting point recommended by the manual. does that sound right? Should I wait untill I have run the 10 Gallons of 25:1 through it before I fine tune it? does ethanol blended gas affect the settings (we cant get anything else up here because of state law driven by corn farmers)? The main problem is it seems to be "cold blooded" won't idle or run right untill it has spent 5-10 min. running at higher speeds. when I slow it down and idle it runs well for 8-10 min. then it will only idle (stutters while idling)for 1-1/2 min. and quit. If I run it at high speed for a while it will idle better again.<br /><br />could the extra oil be causing the problem? ethanol?<br /><br />I hate Carbureters! is there anybody who rents test wheels?