Fuel tank

Razer777!

Recruit
I am new to this group and glad to aboard. I am looking for any information on a 1987 Chaparral 187 XL with the 3.0 engine inboard. I am trying to find out what material is the internal fuel tank made of? Plastic or steel, aluminum? Can it be removed easily or is it a pain? The fuel cap was missing and was exposed to the elements for many years. I have a bariscope but havent looked inside yet. Any information from the pros on here would be great! Thanks in advance! Razer

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

You should be able to get a glimpse of the fuel tank via a smaller hatch in the floor or even looking forward from the engine compartment. It would be either plastic or aluminum. (probably aluminum)

there should be a certification label on the tank stating the manufacturer, the capacity, and the material & thinkness. (usually 5052 aluminum, 0.125" thick)

Razer777!

Recruit
Welcome to iBoats . . .

You should be able to get a glimpse of the fuel tank via a smaller hatch in the floor or even looking forward from the engine compartment. It would be either plastic or aluminum. (probably aluminum)

there should be a certification label on the tank stating the manufacturer, the capacity, and the material & thinkness. (usually 5052 aluminum, 0.125" thick)
Great information I will check it out! Thanks very much