Fuel tank Vent

mnewb1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a through hull fuel tank vent for my Sport-Craft similar to this

159291_ts.JPG

I had lost my cover retainer and trim cover from my original. Of course I couldn't just buy those pieces so I had to get a whole new fuel vent assembly...no problem,

However, when I went to put the new cover retainer and trim cover on the old vent body assembly it didn't fit quite right...so of course I unscrewed and pulled out the whole vent body to get a closer look, well the p trap body inside the gunwale must not have been stuck with RTV and has now disapeared into the gunwale. so now I have a nice 3/4" hole in the hull where this goes.

I would be happy to insert the whole new vent I have, but I don't know how to get into the gunwale to attach the p trap body on the inside of that 3/4" hole and then screw in the vent body to it.

Of course it is the weekend and no mechanic is in site at the Marina. The vent hole is certainly high on the hull just under the rub rail, but I am worried about water spraying in this hole if we are underway at speed on Lake Michigan. Would it be kosher to cover the hole with a piece of duct tape until the new vent can be inserted next week? Or just stay off the big water for now.

Thank You

Mark

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Fuel tank Vent

duct tape will fix the water problem. But the real problem is the gas fumes. Where are they going now? is this an I/O or outboard. Is it open or a cabin? How low is the vent tube? can gas drain out?

mnewb1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

duct tape will fix the water problem. But the real problem is the gas fumes. Where are they going now? is this an I/O or outboard. Is it open or a cabin? How low is the vent tube? can gas drain out?

Thanks for the reply

It is an I/O with a cuddy cabin and a 1/2 full 80 gallon tank. I don't know how low the vent tube is.

here is the boat...the original vent tube location can be seen above the "E" in fishmaster.

6.jpg

mnewb1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

any more thought?

Am I going to be venting fuel fumes in the gunwale if I run this?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I would not operate it untill I had the vent fixed. it looks like fumes could get to the engine compartment.

mnewb1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for your help.

boat is in the rack until fixed.

a70eliminator

Captain

Wise descision, fuel vapors will definately be emmited and accumilate, especially when getting sloshed around. It can get pretty challenging trying to get at stuff that the boat was built around, look for any removeable panel or hatch thats gets you closer and or make your own acess panel.