Fuel tank size?

arnieb

Seaman Apprentice
Hello group,

I just purchaced a 1988 Sylvan 188 with a 3L Merc inboard. I want to take it out for the first time and then winterize it. My problem is I have no idea what size of fuel tank would be in this. I want this information so I can add the proper amount of fuel stabilizer for the long winter months. By the model # I would think the boat is between 18-19' long again with the 3L Merc inboard. I'm alittle new to the inboard tank thing and have NO idea what size of inboard tanks these boats have. The tank is 3/4 full now so filling it will not give me any ideas. Thanks for reading, any help would be great!

Arnie

D

DJ

Re: Fuel tank size?

I have no idea how large the tank is. My point is that if you are off by 100% on the additive, you will not cause any harm.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Probably 24 - 34 gallons. If you have twice as much Stabil as suggested it will not harm anything. Just make sure you drain the engine block. Cracked blocks from freezing are an expensive lesson for I/O owners.

ziggy

Admiral

if i remember correctly, uscg requires a plate on the fuel tanks in boats. it may have the capicity on it. both my boats have had the plates. the old boat had the capacity written on the side of the tank, not the plate. the new used boat has the capacity right on the plate. boats are 72 and 75 respectively. both with 165 hp mercruisers. i'd look for the plate if ya can. maybe by the sender.

you bought a boat and are only gonna use it one time prior to winterization? wow, that's restraint.....i just got mine too and would think i've put at least 15 hrs run time on it so far.... gota shake it down man.....:)

MRS

Commander

Get a siphon hose and a bunch of gas cans and start Siphoning I did that with mine if the gas is not old put back in and add your stuff. If you think it is old use in the lawn mower or car. Add fresh to boat and add your stuff you cannot go wrong Hopefully when you do run it you will use most of your fuel and when you fill back up it will let you know what you need to know.d:) P.S. what silvertip said is right on.....Plus when you store for the winter do it with outdrive down.....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Do you have an inspection plate in the floor for access to the fuel sender? Some tanks will have the tag under that.
Silver Tip is probably about right,at least 22 gallons..

ziggy

Admiral

unless ya find a capicity plate, mrs method sounds like the best idea to me....siphone it out till empty, refill with a known amount.....if ya want to know the facts anyways............i wouldn't assume any amount unless ya want to find yerself sol on the lake...for an empty fuel tank......

my fuel tank is a known 18gal. and i'm still learning the fuel gage at 15-20 hours now. and it best i can tell it aint readin to correct.........:)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Im with DWJ here, being off by a large amount will not do any harm. Especially if it is filled up at the start of next season.

arnieb

Seaman Apprentice

Took the cover off the tank and there it was, 25 gal. The boat was a blast on the river today also. Thanks for all the replies!

Arnie 8)