Fuel Tank Replacement Interval?

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Folks.<br /><br />Yearly inspection time before May 1 drop-in..<br /><br />Because I am a paranoid, I inspect the fuel tank and replace the hose clamps to the tank. I re-crimp terminations to grounding rings and to the gas level sending unit.<br /><br />Maybe I'm too far over the edge.<br /><br />But a question:<br /><br />The fuel tank is a 88 gallon 2021 grade aluminum tank.<br /><br />It stays dry, mostly, but I do see "chalk" oxidation on the exterior surface.<br /><br />Is there a replacement interval required for a 2021 grade aluminum tank? If so, what is the interval?<br /><br />Any other maintenance required, aside from inspections?<br /><br />Any suggestions are appreciated!<br /><br />Thank you.<br />Ken<br />Red Bank, NJ

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel Tank Replacement Interval?

When they start to leak - - then it is time. Relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxzzzzzzzzzzzz.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Your alloy tank should be fine, I don't like new clamps on old hoses though. If you think you must change the clams every year than either cut the old clamped area off and refit the hose or if the hose is not long enough to do that than replace it with one thats a foot to long and than you can start with fresh ends every year for the next 5 years or so.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate the responses.. The hose comment is well founded--and I agree. I did replace the fuel line between the transom and the fuel tank last year--as I was thinking exactly the same thing as you.<br /><br />The large diameter hose between the fuel fill port and the tank is a bit more of a challenge. :( <br /><br />Thank you!<br />Ken

jch7450

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't forget the vent hose too, and We only use stainless clamps.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You know, the clamp business is a strange one:<br /><br />I only buy stainless clamps. However, I always seem to find some stupid part in the hose clamp, which is not stainless. <br /><br />Sure, the band is stainless. But the worm gear seems to be "optionally stainless."<br /><br />Do you notice the same thing?

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class

Every time I buy a new boat, I get a new tank. Sometimes it's used (the boat and the tank).

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Buy your clamps from a good marine store, that way you more likely to get the better quality ones. i would not bother replacing the filler tube every year. Get a tube thats designed for gas and you won't have a problem with it.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Location, location, loaction. If the tank was well installed (has spacers around it for air to circulate and keep moisture from building up, and is not in contact with foam), you could do pretty well. But even some expensive boats don't do tank installation right.<br /><br />And in any marine enviroment, there is enough salt hanging around in various places, trapped fresh water will turn to salt water.... and salt water and aluminum are not friends.