Fuel tank question

ohfishcat

Seaman Apprentice
I have a four winns 150,,finished restoring it,,,,ok so i put oil/fuel in the gas tank

i put a filter/primer bulb and and a connecter to my evinrude 1984 50 hp,,

it wouldnt pump any fuel up

ok so i took off the fuel pick up out w/the tube(1)014.jpg out of the tank,,,,noticed attached to the pickup fitting was another fitting (2)the hose went on and it looked like a valve inside(anti siphon valve maybe?)

i guess whats the correct way this set up works what caused the fuel not to pump and do i need a primer bulb,,and whats up with the valve in the #2 fitting

woodsyfeller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel tank question

yes its a check valve that supposed to prevent pulling anything that doesnt belong in the tank back down the hose into the tank.(i.e water ,dirt ect.)It also helps to keep the fuel hose primed.

Yes you need a primer bulb to prime the hose, after that ,the fuel pump will do the rest of the work (or is supposed to anyways)

Now for the basics you need to check the fuel line,connections for any possible leaks,

Make sure the arrow on the primer bulb points towards the engine(easy mistake to make)

If its the first time you may have to pump lots and fast to get the fuel to make it up hose, fill the filter housing and to the primer bulb.

Sometimes it helps to hold the primer bulb as low and close to the tank as possible to help with the vacume you are creating to draft the fuel up the hose .

Verify the draw tube actually goes down into the tank some times those plastic tubes break off and theres no tube down into the fuel.That tube needs to almost touch the bottom of the tank most people will cut the end of the draw tube at a 45% angle so even if the tube hits bottom there is still an opening to pull fuel.

Last edited: