Fuel tank question

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up a small fishing boat with an 85' Evinrude 15hp, this is my 1st outboard. My question is, when I disconnect the fuel line from the 6 gal tank, it will continuously leak from where it connects at the tank unless i crack the cap to vent it. Is this normal? Seems like there would be a "check valve" or something? Tank is less than half full.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fuel tank question

".....it will continuously leak from where it connects at the tank unless i crack the cap to vent it....."

.....if the connection at the tank is a quick-disconnect, the O-ring in the coupler is defective. Wally-World has inexpensive replacements.

.....if the connection at the tank is simply a hose pushed over a barb fitting, either shorten the hose or replace the hose.

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice

The O-ring would actually be on the fuel line connecter, correct? It doesn't leak when the fuel line is connected to the tank, but when i disconnect it and tighten the filler cap, it will start to leak after awhile (from internal tank pressure, i assume).

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice

Leaks from the top of the tank where it connects...

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class

The connection has a valve,like an air valve in a car tube,when hose is disconnected,it's not seating correctly,just replace that brass connector,bout $9.00.To prove that's the tro.remove it and blow in the threaded part--shouldn't be able to unless you press in on that valve with your finger.:D

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

ANYWAY--Which no one has pointed out, when you have gas in the tank, the vent should be cracked open unless you are transporting the tank from car to boat. The gas tank and fitting are not a pressure vessel and even a new quick-connect may leak with pressure gained from temperature rise or sun hitting the tank.

And remember, if it is a portable tank, to fill it ON THE GROUND, not in the car to prevent sparks and the resulting nasty looks from the other customers.