Fuel Tank Cleaning?

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just bought a 1988 Sport Craft with an empty tank. I'm going to replace all the fuel lines and install a water sep/fuel filter. Without removing the tank are there any procedures I could perform to try to clean the inside of it.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Fuel Tank Cleaning?

depends on if it's plastic or metal. A steel tank that's rusted may need to be replaced. Plastic tanks you can put a solvent like mineral spirits, Berryman's B-12 or similar to flush tank, same with aluminum and stainless steel. We used to use rock gravel to clean motorcycle tanks...just put a couple of handfulls in tank and shake it real good to remove rust, deposits, most anything, then wash out good with fresh gas. Good Luck!

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the mineral spirits idea! I don't want to remove the tank and I know it's aluminum. Maybe let the MS sit in it a little then rinse with fresh gas. After that hope the new filter/water sep handles the rest. Appreciate the input. O.T.

302slick

Cadet

In my 76 removing the tank was not an option. I just put in some Sea Foam and premium gas. My experience with tanks is if you can't flush them out right you can make things worse by knocking a bunch of debris loose.
I.M.O. .....Your call...

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hmmmm, making me wonder. Maybe leave well enough alone. Fresh gas and change the filter more frequently in the beginning. see what happens, Thanks:confused:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Use E-10 and keep spare filters at hand. It will be clean in no time.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Using fuel with E-10 is good for cleaning the tank,but what do you do with the waterit forms in the bottom of the tank over time?