Fuel tank and hose length ?

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice
33hp Johnson 1967<br /><br />Is there a max lenth fuel hose that can be used on my outboard ?<br /><br />I want to move my fuel tank from the back of my 14foot fletcher to the front of the boat to give me more space at the back !<br /><br />Will this be ok to do ?<br /><br />Do you think this will cause me any fuel related problems?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel tank and hose length ?

The big issue is weight. The fuel in the line has weight and your pump can only lift so much. If drawn straight up from bilge level, that's the least amount of weight to pull. If you were to lay the line in a diagonal from the tank to the motor, that would be a lot more weight. Fuel line that's level is easy to pull. So avoid diagonals. You might also want to use 1/4" line, but the usual 5/16" is probably OK too. Don't use 3/8" or larger.

Walker

Captain
Re: Fuel tank and hose length ?

Total length really means nothing because of the small volume of flow. If you were flowing a large amount then you'd have friction loss to contend with. What matters is total lift. Front of the boat or back of the boat is about the same. In a perfect vacumn with a perfect pump you could theoretically lift fuel about 22 feet. Level, diagonal, up and down is all the same.