Fuel system bog prob. Rebuilt carbs already

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am having a funny problem with my 1963 Evinrude 40hp.<br /><br />After a lot of work and diagnosing I have managed to get the motor to run on both cylinders(earlier problem), but It is still turd slow in the water. We took it out a week ago to test and came up with this.<br /><br />It has a really unpredictable throttle. Sometimes at a 1/4 throttle it will go like 3/4. WOT always bogs. Then I'll give it just s bit more and it boggs. I felt it pick up ONCE so I figured this has to be a fuel problem.<br /><br />What I have done:<br />1)lots of debris in fuel bulb, so ordered a new filter and cleaned pump.<br />2)Decided to rebuild carb, found out that everything inside looked clean, did it anyways.<br />3)Fuel tank is new and lines to motor are new as well.<br /><br />What I haven't done:<br />1)check fuel lines and replace.<br /><br />Anything else that I am missing? The leaf plate and leaves look perfect. What about the hot water choke... or something else???<br /><br />Thanks Guys

BillP

Captain
Re: Fuel system bog prob. Rebuilt carbs already

You "cleaned" the pump? Replace the rubber diaphragm instead. Try pumping the fuel bulb and see if that helps. If so, it is likely in the line or pump.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Did you soak the carb and blow it out with compressed air? New kit?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cleaned yes... I did not try to replace the diaphram, but consider that done now... I also pumped the bulb to no avail....<br /><br />Soaked and blown yes.. (Thanks Guys)<br /><br />Any other ideas??