Fuel Squirting out of Vacuum Switch

Britar

Cadet
I did some work to my 1990 Evinrude 150 last weekend; one of the things I replaced was the fuel line from the bulb to the engine case.

Now when I pump up the bulb a stream of gas pours out of the vacuum switch that is Tee'd into the fuel line. There is a small hole on the side of the switch that the gas comes out of. As soon as the pressure drops off it stops.
Is this normal (It can't be), I don't remember seeing this before, but I had a hole in the line.

Thanks

Britar

Cadet
Re: Fuel Squirting out of Vacuum Switch

In continued searching I was able to find a post on this subject. It would appear that the diaphragm inside the vacuum switch is ruptured which should make the switch non-operational. Right? It would never sense a vacuum because air would just leak in and fill vacuum, and furthermore this would cause an air leak in the fuel system.

Does this sound right?
Thanks

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Have same problem. Anybody have a suggestion? If the vacuum switch were eliminated, would it only affect the fuel restriction warning horn?
Thanks,
Backlash

jonesg

Admiral

In continued searching I was able to find a post on this subject. It would appear that the diaphragm inside the vacuum switch is ruptured which should make the switch non-operational. Right? It would never sense a vacuum because air would just leak in and fill vacuum, and furthermore this would cause an air leak in the fuel system.

Does this sound right?
Thanks

Yeh ,sounds like its shot.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

I'd agree that it's probably shot...but if the switch were bypassed would it only affect the fuel restriction warning horn?
Thanks.