fuel shut-off rebuild

dvrdwn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Can anybody point me in the right direction. I have a 1960 3hp evenrude weedless and the fuel shut-off valve does'nt shut off. Can it be rebuilt or can somebody point me in the direction of a replacment?

Fishing4Walleyes

Seaman Apprentice
Re: fuel shut-off rebuild

Those valves are very simple and common in construction with those on tractors. If you open the valve then remove the nut holding the stem to the valve body you can unscrew the stem from the body and look at it and see what is stopping it from shutting off. They are so simple that they don't go bad unless they get banged around and there is probably some kind of dirt stuck in there. I have had the rubber packing go bad and replaced it with o-rings from the auto parts store. The valves are pricey to buy and simple enough to trouble shoot and fix.

Fishing4Walleyes

Seaman Apprentice

Ironically I have recently acquired that very same motor and am getting it into shape for use.

kbait

Commander

Probably has leaky packing.. o-ring, as stated above, will work as replacement. If it's still leaky, call Tim's outboard 218-682-2331. They'll have a good/used at a nice price.

Good luck!