fuel sending unit

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings; I have a 1985 Penn Yann I/O, the fuel sending unit has given up. The old unit is a probe style with a operating range of 240/33 ohms, replacement cost is around $80.00 The question is, can the unit be replaced with a float style with the same operating range for $27. The tank is rectangular with a V type conture to fit the hull. My concern is if the gauge needle is going to peg back and forth with the sloshing of fuel from starting and stopping with the float. As of now I haven't been able to yet determine if the tank has baffles.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel sending unit

yes you can use the float arm style sender and yes, it will likely make the gauge bounce a bit. That's the nature of the beast.

rjwoodrome

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fuel sending unit

Thanks for the responding. I didnt think anyone had an opinion there for a while. In the meanwhile I got thru to Centroid Products. origional mfg. and ordered a replacement for $61.00 shipping included. 2 year warranty to boot... With this module there isnt any bounce the response is slower for a better fuel level reading...