Fuel question(s)

jitterbug127

Chief Petty Officer
Jitterbug, Production outboards are designed to run on regular fuel. There is no advantage to using premium fuel. Of course, your wallet will be lighter, so maybe you will go a bit faster.
I've read so many things over years about octanes and ethanol vs ethanol free gas. It seems like one of those things where lots of people have lots of opinions on it. I admit I am no expert on the subject. I just try to avoid as many problems as I can. I tend to find problems on the water anyways. :) I run a little 25 hp on the river (now, was 15 previously) and never use more than 1 gallon on a fishing trip. I also have a 1/2 acre that requires a little mowing, edging trimming etc. I probably bought less than 30 gallons of gas for my boat and all my engines all of last year. Over the course of a summer I'm looking at spending another $20-$30 (heck even over estimating double that $40-$60) for the higher premium.

If i had a big boat and was actually running a lake I think i would be much more inclined to get the 87.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Also, if you have an older motor, do as recommended and replace all fuel lines/ hoses with ethanol rated lines. When E fuels were first introduced it was highly recommended to replace existing hoses to alcohol rated hoses and add extra fuel filters to catch or trap all the crud that the alcohol broke loose as it cleaned the system. Stations were also told to add filters to the pump s to trap crud from the tanks inground, in many states they were required new tanks for E fuel storage. How many folks actually listened and followed these recommendations ??? And we wonder why E fuel gas gotten a bad name ??
Thats what I said, but Chris said its propaganda.
Calling it propaganda, doesn't make it propaganda.

The studies came out of MN, and I believe MO.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Thats what I said, but Chris said its propaganda.
Calling it propaganda, doesn't make it propaganda.

The studies came out of MN, and I believe MO.
I didn't read that in his posting. I took his comments as the whole corn fuel being bad idea was propaganda...sure he will chime in if were are wrong..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
To clarify, The propaganda I referred to was that alcohol mixed with gasoline was bad for motors and caused all kinds of problems. It can be bad for older fuel lines and gaskets, and is bad for fiberglass fuel tanks. It also loosens latent dirt in the fuel system. In the long run that is a good thing, although it may clog fuel filters in the short run. Once the latent dirt is gone, it should be smooth sailing.

Alcohol blended gasoline keeps the fuel system cleaner then plain gasoline and absorbs some water, so no more need to put dry gas in the tank of your auto on those freezing days. The engine also runs just fine.

Alcohol blended gasoline has been around long enough now, that most older engines still in use have needed their carbs rebuilt and their fuel lines replaced, due to normal wear and tear. At this point, their carb gaskets and fuel lines should be alcohol resistant.

I specifically did not comment on the growing and processing of the corn into alcohol. This may have raised the prices on corn, upsetting the 'shiners, but that is another discussion.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
In my 50 or so years of small engine tinkering I'd wager 90% of running issues have been fuel related. Seasonal toys = maintenace. Easy and cheap insurance on the water. Carb cleaning is pretty simple stuff on small engines. Lawnmowers, snowblowers, chainsaws and such I just buy a new carb. Theyre like bic lighters and about as cheap. I like carbed engines my self. Computer controlled injected engines are a different animal to me, but so far, a clean fuel system has kept me out of trouble and ethanol has not been a problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
In my 50 or so years of small engine tinkering I'd wager 90% of running issues have been fuel related. Seasonal toys = maintenace.
I agree with the running issues, but seasonal toys shouldn’t need annual carb work.

Easy and cheap insurance on the water. Carb cleaning is pretty simple stuff on small engines. Lawnmowers, snowblowers, chainsaws and such I just buy a new carb. Theyre like bic lighters and about as cheap.
Don't know what people do to their engines that require carbs to be rebuilt so often. I have more equipment (toys) than most. I’ve not rebuilt a carb in years.

I start running stabilizer in everything a couple of weeks before season’s end. Come Spring, everything works as designed. Never any problems.

I like carbed engines my self. Computer controlled injected engines are a different animal to me, but so far, a clean fuel system has kept me out of trouble and ethanol has not been a problem.
Got a 31 HP EFI on a new to me ZTM….pretty easy to work on once you understand the concept. Provides a pretty significant reduction in fuel consumption compared to a similarly sized carbed engine

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When they "introduced" ethanol fuel they told us about draining the tanks, keeping the tanks full, replacing the fuel lines, yada, yada.

Then...............they admitted that they have been sending this stuff for a couple of years before telling us. We didn't have problems before we knew, now we all have problems.

People with problems are the ones that don't take care of their stuff. The rest of us are happy.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, for small 4 cycle engines, run the carbs dry, and toss 1/2 oz of 2 cycle oil in the empty fuel tank, and store them away for the winter. If you want to store them with fuel in the tank, use some stabilizer. Fog them if you want...it won't hurt.

for multi cylinder engines, stabilize the fuel and run 'em for a minute, before storage, to get the stabilized fuel into the carbs. Fogging is fine also.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I agree with the running issues, but seasonal toys shouldn’t need annual carb work.

Don't know what people do to their engines that require carbs to be rebuilt so often. I have more equipment (toys) than most. I’ve not rebuilt a carb in years.

I start running stabilizer in everything a couple of weeks before season’s end. Come Spring, everything works as designed. Never any problems.

Got a 31 HP EFI on a new to me ZTM….pretty easy to work on once you understand the concept. Provides a pretty significant reduction in fuel consumption compared to a similarly sized carbed engine
Just to clarify, I refer to purchasing used gear with running issues, friends and family asking for help and such. My stuff all runs good. Newest to me is a 60hp etec that I havent gotten around to yet. Seemed to run good when I water tested the boat last fall but I'll be going over it all top to bottom this season. So far I just had a diagnostic check done. Clean bill of health.