fuel pump

bigbadchevy89

Seaman
1984 Mercruiser 228 loosing fuel pressure above idol. Looking ot replace /rebuild the fuel-pump. Can anyone tell me if there is a pump rebuild kit available?

Any responses would be great

Darrell

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel pump

And you proved this by..........................................

bigbadchevy89

Seaman

pulled the fuel line from the carb added a clear line onto the fuel line while keeping the engine running off a temporary electric pump flowing into a 5 gallon pail. I then visually watched a good flow of fuel at idol turn to little to no fuel higher idols.

Sorry.... that is confusing like crazy.... I think I know what you did but you didn't word it very well....

You had the engine running off an electric pump... was it still off the boat's tank or a portable?

While the engine was running off the electric pump, you checked the output of the mechanical pump still bolted to the block, and was good at idle and lower output at Higher RPM's....

Last edited:

bigbadchevy89

Seaman

Yes Eric I had it on a portable tank. Sorry for the confusion I just reread it and realized it sounded like mumble jumble lol!

I assume the engine ran fine off the portable and electric pump?

Try the mechanical pump on the same portable tank to eliminate issues with your boat's tank and fuel line.

I'm not too familiar with your particular pump, but many have a fuel filter built into them. A clogged filter would do what your experiencing.

Last edited: