fuel pump

bsandy56

Cadet
After reading manual I suspect a pin hole in the fuel pump diafram. My question is, will I end up with little parts falling out to take it apart and put in a new one??? Hope it is a simple task as it looks in the book. Thanks for any help o n this......Bsandy.....

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel pump

After reading manual I suspect a pin hole in the fuel pump diafram. My question is, will I end up with little parts falling out to take it apart and put in a new one??? Hope it is a simple task as it looks in the book. Thanks for any help o n this......Bsandy.....

Not a difficult job if you have a little mechanical know how.
What motor are we talking about here and what year ???
Better details can be given with that information.

bsandy56

Cadet

1989 evinrude 48 H P. It runs great at high speed only at slow speed it dies out. Looking at the plugs they are damp. I could live with it but a pain when it comes to loading on the trailer. ( 18 ft. pontoon) I did a compression check today and both cylinders 150 psI. I have been a diy for along time, just wanted to know what to look out for takeing the fuel pump apart.
bsandy

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is a pretty straightforward fuel pump. If you have the manual, it should be a breeze. Those OMC fuel pumps are pretty reliable and are many times replaced when the problem lies in the carburetor. If you do not find a hole in the diaphragm, you may want to turn to the carburetor. When was the last time you rebuilt the carburetors? You could very well have some crude in the idle circuit that is causing the poor idle condition.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If it runs great at high speed it is likely not the fuel pump.