Fuel pump

cashtim

Cadet
can you have a electric fuel pump hook up when I brought my boat the guy had a fuel pump hook to a gatago switch to turn it on. When I went to this boat shop they told me I need to covert back or something like that.I just want to know do I have to change anything or am I ok the boat turns on fine.

firehog6305

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel pump

I always like to keep my boats stock, specially with the fuel and electronics, there is always that saftey issue to worry about, but you remember the old saying, if it works dont fix it, :)

cashtim

Cadet

I always like to keep my boats stock, specially with the fuel and electronics, there is always that saftey issue to worry about, but you remember the old saying, if it works dont fix it, :)

I am new at boating what is the old orginal it should be

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the boat had a mechanical fuel pump to start with and an electric was added, I will bet good money it was merely connected to 12V and a switch so you have no safety whatsoever. Electric fuel pumps by law need to be marine rated. Next, they need to be wired through a safety switch that cuts off the power to the pump should the engine stall. Lets say you had a fire on the boat due to a fuel leak. the engine would quit but since there is no fuel pump cutoff other than the manual switch which the operator would likely forget about during the confusion, the pump continues to feed the fire. Electric pumps are normally connected through the oil pressure switch on the engine. Lose oil pressure (engine stopped or stalled) and the pump cuts off. A start relay allows the pump to run while the engine is cranked during starting. Once oil pressure rises the pump stays running. If you have a two stroke engine, there is no oil pressure switch so there is really no way to protect yourself in that application.