Fuel Pump Rebuild 100 HP 1988

BikerBoater

Cadet
Well, I am new to boating in general and don't know much about 2 stroke outboards. I am planning to rebuild my fuel pump this week. I have a 16' open bow runabout 1988 Sea Ray white 100 HP 2+2 Mercury. My Serial number is B364400. I have the fuel pump with the 90 degree check valve. <br /> <br />I purchased the rebuild kit and the instructions state "When replacing rubber check valve retainer with nylon check valve retainer, retainer holes in fuel pump body must be enlarged to 0.125 in. (3.18mm)diameter and hole edges chamfered." :rolleyes: I am concerned about drilling into my fuel pump body. <br /> <br />Also, the instructions show to break the nylon retainer rod from the retainer by bending back and forth. <br /> <br />The last step before reassembly is to use a hammer and a punch to tap the rod down until flush with the top of the retainer. :confused: <br /> <br />Any information will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have an tips to do this right the first time.<br /> <br />Thanks, in advance!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Fuel Pump Rebuild 100 HP 1988

Follow the instructions exactly. <br /><br />As for the hammer? Use a small hammer.