fuel pump or power pack??

father2twins

Cadet
1989 150hp Evinrude. The motor runs in the yard just fine. As soon as it hits the river or lake, it dies under load. I have cleaned carbs, changed plugs, changed fuel filter, primer bulb, and cleaned the fuel filter. I am suspecting a fuel pump or power pack, but am not sure

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel pump or power pack??

Hi "Dad".....<br /><br />Any engine will run great in the yard with muffs. Even if ya' got a dead cylinder. <br /><br />How long have you had the engine? New for you or is this a problem that has just cropped up?<br /><br />First, do a compression test on each Cylinder. They should be well above 100psi per cylinder and about 5psi with one another. Anything else is bad.<br /><br />Compression good....Do a spark test. These engines should jump a 1/2inch gap and have a hot white spark. <br /><br />Lets' look at the VRO pump. Fuel hoses are tight on the fittings? With the engine running, paint a soap solution on the pumps seams, where the parts of the pump body go together. Any bubbles? Take a look at the wire harness coming from the VRO pump. Three wires or four. If three, may be time for an upgrade pump. Expensive, but better than a new block.<br /><br />Get a Manual. OEM are the prefferred manuals because they deal with your specific engine. OEM manuals have a troubleshooting section which helps a lot.<br /><br />Keep us posted.

father2twins

Cadet
Re: fuel pump or power pack??

I have a manual, and have performed the compression check. all is good there. I noticed you said the spark should be bright white, the spark i am getting is a faint blue, So im guessing power pack???