Fuel Pump Check Valves

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,

Lots of info on here, hoping that someone can help me. I have a 70 hp Chrysler that when I took the fuel pump off to replace the diaphram I found that someone had gotten "frustrated" with it and had severely messed up the check valves.

There are three in there, one removable. I do have the manual for the motor and I know that it says that only the middle one is to be removed. Well that one is broken, but hey, at least the guy left the screws in there for me.

I say that, who knows for sure, but they were in there loose along with all the parts to the valve. I tested the other valves, one is working, one is not.

Anyways, I need to know where to get new valves at. Cannot seem to find a place on the internet to track them down. Thanks for the help.

On another note. Is there anything else I should be looking into replacing on this motor? I have gone through the lower unit, it is taken care of. But is there anything else on the motor that may seem to be a part that goes out frequently? I just figured while I am ordering parts I would go ahead and get all that I need. I would go through it bit by bit, but if someone has some experience with doing this the help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fuel Pump Check Valves

crowleymarine.com has them, also dont forget to buy the gasket for the center check valve

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.boats.net has them as well i just bought 3 of them to do mine. They were a little cheaper then cowley marine

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys.

Its tuff to tell yourself that even though they dont have a diagram for your particular motor, you can use the parts that go on others in the same "family".

It took some digging, but I found where they were on the "boats.net" site. Could not find them on the crowley one.

What is the best year and model to choose from to adapt to my particular year and model motor?

I also noticed on one of the diagrams it shows a "spring, fuel pump boost" and a retainer to go with it. I am pretty sure when I took off the plate that those two items were not in it, but I will double check when I get home.

Do you think that they are not for my particular year and model?

The gasket is a good catch. I probably would have not even noticed it.

Thanks again guys for your help.

john from md

Commander

The check valves for the 1984/85 85 hp should fit your engine. You don't need the boost spring in your fuel pump, you only need the diaphram and gasket.

As for the check valves. One comes out by removing the two screws. The second comes out by drifting it from the opposite side with a drift pin. The third is in a blind hole and requires a special puller or you can make several cuts with a dremel tool ( not deep enough to damage the housing) to relieve the pressure against the housing then take a screwdriver, heat and bend the tip and pry the valve out. Once you make the cuts, it comes out pretty easily.

Be advised, boats.net may not always have your parts in stock and it may take a while to get them.

John