fuel problem on a 6hp evinrude

papacan

Cadet
A gift of a 68' Evinrude 6hp,"fisherman",which had been running fine before being stored for about 3yrs. I'm not a O/B mech.,but I was told to replace the plugs & fuel pump before the season started which I did. The man'l says the pump is activated by crank press,How? I replaced it as a unit but not getting fuel to the carb. Please consider the sorse when you read this question! THANKS!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel problem on a 6hp evinrude

Howdy Papacan.<br /><br />Pressure/vacuum pulses from the crankcase operate the pump diaphram through a passage.<br /><br />Take the fuel line off the carb and put the end in a bottle. Spin her over and see if you are getting spurts of fuel out. If you get none, confirm that fuel is getting into the pump from the tank. If you get spurts it is possible that your carb inlet is plugged up.<br /><br />Go to the Engine FAQs section for help with "Outboard wont start".<br /><br />Finally, you need to replace the water pump impeller.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

beonmygrady

Recruit

Papacan, I'm rebuilding my '67 fisherman now it's been sitting for 30 years. I suggest looking at your thermostat also on top of what JB said. Found a good site the other day if you need parts. (EDIT: We ask that you not post links or URLs to competitors. If iboats doesn't have the parts needed http://www.boatmotors.com/parts/ just name the site you refer to and let the member find it. Thanks :) )

beonmygrady

Recruit

EDIT: Sorry, Grady. <br /><br />First: Transmitting copies of copyrighted material is illegal. So is offering to do so.<br /><br />Second: We do not accept offers to give away marine related items on the board. I suggest that you post it to the Thrifties http://www.iboats.com/boats/marine--1/thrifties--107 and ask anyone who wants it to pay for the ad and the postage.<br /><br />Thanks, JB :)

rwcreigh1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jb is right replace the waterpump

papacan

Cadet

thanks JB FOR THE ADVICE,FOUND SMALL HOLE IN FUEL LINE,REPLACED & REPLACING THE IMPELLER, I WAS TOLD TOO,BUT FORGOT!THANKS AGAIN, NOW, I ONLY HAVE SPARK ON ONE CYL.& THE MAN'L I GOT FROM THE LIBRARY SHOWS THE DIST. & ETC. BUT NOT HOW TO GET TO THEM(UNDER THE FLYWHEEL).THIS IS STUPID,BUT CAN WIRES & POINTS GO BAD JUST SETTING IN THE GARAGE?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Points can get deposits on them just sitting, papacan, but it is more likely that a condenser dries out.<br /><br />There is a safe way to remove the flywheel using a wheel puller or a risky way, as follows.<br /><br />Loosen the flywheel nut to about about 1/8" from the flywheel. With a screwdriver or other prying device put moderate pressure under the flywheel. Using a brass or plastic mallet (or a hammer with a soft metal or wooden barrier) rap the end of the crank smartly. One to three raps should pop the flywheel off the taper. <br /><br />The risk is that you will either mushroom the crank end or destroy the threads on the end, so be as gentle as possible.<br /><br />Good luck. :)