fuel not reaching top carb

dburr

Seaman
my 79 merc 50 when priming fuel does not reach the top carb. I can visiably see it through the hose and only the bottom carb gets fuel. Is this a problem? Is this an air block or something? Does it fix itself once it starts?

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fuel not reaching top carb

What type of fuel pumps ? Blue "integrals" or external? Dismantle the lines and check flow while disconnected.

dburr

Seaman

it got a mechanical one thats mounted on the side of the engine. It goes from there and then at T at the first (bottom) carb spilts it up to the top carb. When I prime it the bulb gets hard I guess the bottom carb is full. Though I can see the fuel trying to get the top carb but it doesn't. Does this mean its running on 2 cyls or is it a possiblity that the fuel will reach it when it starts? Thanks alot for any help you can give me. Im about sick of this thing as it runs and idles but has no power.

dburr

Seaman

please help. I hate this motor...........

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't hate the Merc. A 1979 50 is a great motor from a long line of winners. Perservere on here and you will find there are Mercsperts that can help you get it going nice. You should do a compression test first. If all 4 are with 10% go to the carb cleaning procedure.<br />The members most likely to know are Rickdb1boat, Klost, Nathan from Arkansas, and 12footer. Sorry if I missed any.

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

dburr;from what you are saying it soundslike the needle valve in the carb is stuck shut or the float is keeping the needle valve from opening.you can try tapping the carb to see if it will drop the needle,otherwise the carb has to be worked on. good luck

KCLOST

Commander

Ben's correct, <br /><br />It's time for a carb rebuild...Remember it's a 25 year old motor, so it's gonna need some cleaning to keep it in top shape.<br /><br />Buy a manual and rebuild kit and you'll be in good shape...

dburr

Seaman

I pulled the carbs, seems the top carbs valve was stuck and is stickier than the the bottom one. How do I know if it needs new parts or just a cleaning?

KCLOST

Commander

A stuck "whatever" can be improved with a thorough cleaning with the proper recommended cleaners... But I'd do total rebuild while you are at it, on all the carbs just be be safe.. By the way, a rebuild doesn't necessarily mean new parts for everything....Did you get your manual?

dburr

Seaman

no, I didnt have any time to go get one today, hopefully soon. If it gets anymore involved than this fuel problem I will surely be getting one. I have vacation the week of the 19th so Im tryin to get this bugger runnin tip top so I can have a goo camping trip. I bought this package about a month and a half ago and its never really had any prower. The boats great, basically the reason I bought it. I know the engine has good compression and does generate spark, so hopefully this will be it until the winter when I can do some prevenatie maintence on it. Anything else I should check?