fuel line vacuum test

Zebramidge

Cadet
Planning to troubleshoot fuel system tomorrow morning on i/o boat. Limited mechanical experience. Need to vacuum check fuel line before vro pump for possible air in system and fuel restriction. Motor manual says to do it at full throttle for two minutes. Can I do this at full throttle in neutral without harming engine or should I be under load? This is probably a dumb question, but if the answer is I should be under load, how do I manage that and monitor gauge and vinyl tube at the same time I operate boat? Or do I need some kind of special test tank?

Zebramidge

Cadet
Re: fuel line vacuum test

Bravo, Clanton. Not only a master mechanic, but a master of efficiency with the language. I'll try to get a friend who will sacrifice precious fishing time to bounce me around the lake at top speed with my rump sticking out of engine compartment trying to read gauge and spot air bubbles. Should be fun. Might have to make next post to stupid human tricks while boating...http://www.iboats.com/ubb/redface.gif http://www.iboats.com/ubb/eek.gif

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Probably regret this, but, people here in Florida will help, along with most other areas, even if not friends.<br />Fish ain't going no where.<br />Clanton gave you a solution that he thought might help.<br />Try changing you fuel line and filter before you test and do it your own if you have to and chill out.<br /> ;) <br />Michael

Zebramidge

Cadet

Ease up here MGuckin. I totally appreciate Clanton's advice. He says more in 6 words or less than most people say in hundreds (myself included). Going out early with a friend hoping for an early topwater bite followed by fuel test when fish go under. Sorry you misinterpreted my note. I just thought we would look pretty funny running across the lake at wot with engine compartment open and my butt sticking out. No chilling needed on this end.
smile.gif

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Misunderstood, sorry. Your right it might look funny.