Fuel line upgrade

airshot

Rear Admiral
Looking at all the debate over the gray fuel lines causing issues on outboard motors, I need to know what the best replacement hose that gives reliable service. Bought a used boat/ motor last season and found the gray house issues after winter layup inspection. Looking for best marine rated fuel line in 3/8" ID that folks are having good sucess with.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
It depends on how cold it gets in winter where you live. The cold will make the line brittle and the squeeze ball hard and useless, causing you to get stuck on the lake. I find that the grey lines get leaky at the connections and the cheap black ones do the same. This is one article where you get what you pay for. I only buy those lines at West Marine, pay top dollar and never have a problem. Even so I replace them every other year.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with DingBat, use some A1 fuel line and you will have no issues

airshot

Rear Admiral
Think I found a company that uses the A1 hose and custom makes fuel lines with the fittings type you need. Called Larand custom fuel lines. Based on there listing a complete hose assembly with good fittings and top quality hose was less than 70 bucks. Didn't think that was a bad price...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Think I found a company that uses the A1 hose and custom makes fuel lines with the fittings type you need. Called Larand custom fuel lines. Based on there listing a complete hose assembly with good fittings and top quality hose was less than 70 bucks. Didn't think that was a bad price...
That's not bad.
I spent almost that much on mine if you count the cost to buy the Oetiker clamps and tooling.

airshot

Rear Admiral
It depends on how cold it gets in winter where you live. The cold will make the line brittle and the squeeze ball hard and useless, causing you to get stuck on the lake. I find that the grey lines get leaky at the connections and the cheap black ones do the same. This is one article where you get what you pay for. I only buy those lines at West Marine, pay top dollar and never have a problem. Even so I replace them every other year.
When it gets really cold, all my fishing is done watching TV fishing shows......boat goes to bed middle of Nov. normally, comes back to life in early May or before. No squeezing cold frozen balls........mabey I should reword that.