fuel line size

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently bought a Tempo fuel/water separator and the fittings on it are 3/8. I currently have 5/16 line on my 80 85 hp Rude. Went to West Marine and couldn't find a fitting w/a 5/16 barb. The fellow at the store said they don't exist. I got two 3/8 fittings, so do I need to change the whole fuel assembly to 3/8. I did a search here and it really didn't tell me what is the best size to use for my motor. I also noticed 90 degree fittings seem to be a no-no. Any advise would be great so I can do it right the first time.<br /><br />Dutch

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel line size

Dutch,<br /> I would change out the whole line to 3/8" with a Motor of that size. That would be a more <br />appropriate size for it anyway. That way you be insured of a high fuel flow rate. And yes, 90 degree fitting are to be avoided! Good Luck,<br /><br /> Rick

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rickdb1boat:<br />Thanks for the info. Later this week I'll install the fuel/water separator,use teflon tape and try to hit the water.<br /><br />Dutch

CAPTBLACKSMARINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RICK, The factory recommended fuel line size for that motor is 5/16" , and if you want the fittings that the west guy says doesn't exist i have a box full of them .Or you could just go to your local hardware or plumbing store .

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Be carefull with the teflon tape. Make sure you do not wrap the first thread or two going into the fitting as little shreds of the tape can become dislodged in the assembly process and reek havack with carb needle/seat.

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I thought the west guy was yanking my chain. Thanks for the tip on the tape before assembly Yepblaze, that was something I didn't know. CAPTBLACKSMARINE I wish you were close to Dallas/Ft Worth. I would buy two of those fittings. But I'll follow your advise and head to Home Depot,then head back to west marine for a refund. Then I'll tackle the job later this week. As always your advise is priceless.<br /><br />Dutch

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

CAPTBLACKSMARINE,<br /><br /> So your saying a 3/8" won't work? Hard to believe! I did not know that! Enlightnen me on this please.<br /><br />Rick

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I'm curious myself too see if 3/8 would be better or should I keep the 5/16 fuel line. I know I can get the 3/8 barb into the 5/16 and it sure won't come off even without a clamp(of course I'll use clamps). Fortunately my dad has enough 3/8 fuel line to get the job done. So what would be best to be sure of good fuel flow after the fuel/water separator?<br /><br />Dutch

ebbtide176

Commander

just my 2c worth guys...<br /><br />i don't think CBM meant you shouldn't go with 3/8, just that the stock size=5/16. i had a similar scenario when i went from a 70 to 140hp motor. my fuel line didn't fit the motor. (the fuel line was stock, supposedly 5/16,but not marked) took the stock fuel filter off the motor to west. they said "its 5/16" and handed me some new 5/16 fuel line and bulb. i got home to find it wouldn't fit. so since west was now closed, i got 3/8line & bulb from autopartstore(autozone had it!)and put it on. the motor seems happy, i'm happy... :D

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Dutch,<br /><br /> I have a 1991 Evinrude 70 HP and I have always used a 3/8" line and Bulb with absolutly no problem. So if you have a 85 HP motor, I see no reason not to use 3/8". Works for me! Nothing will change! I also used 3/8 line on a Johnson 28 HP for 10 years with no problem!<br /><br />Rick

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the discussion guys. Seems the west marine chain should get more qualified people. The fellow who waited on me also told me that the Pennzoil blend oil(which they carry)was cheap and dirty. Said he saw some report on tv but couldn't remember when or where. If you don't have facts, keep it to yourself and we'll all be better off w/o all the garbage flying around. So 3/8 it is.<br />I'll let everyone know if the patient recovers. Thanks again.<br /><br />Dutch