Fuel line noise / Anti-Siphon valve??

KSorber

Cadet
I have a ’00 Luhrs with twin Crusader 8.2L engines with less than 200 hours with a single 400 gallon fuel tank. I started hearing a noise from the cockpit last week while on a fishing trip. The noise occurs constantly when then the starboard engine is running and for about 1 second when the starboard engine is first switched from off to run (i.e. electricity if first supplied). The port engine sounds perfectly fine. My initial thought was that it was a plastic on plastic rubbing noise, but someone else (whom is more knowledgeable than I) said it sounded more like a suction / vacuum sound. By having someone switch the engine from off to run I can get into the engine room and track the noise too directly beneath the fuel tank, nowhere near the engines. Unfortunately a 400 gallon fuel tank is not just lifted out of the way to get a better view. By closing the master fuel valve off you can stop the noise immediately. I talked to yard mechanic and they do not want to mess with fuel lines since I have a full tank of fuel, they want to wait until I get the tank down to 3/4 or less. Unfortunately that is about 100 gallons of fuel I need to burn and I am somewhat afraid of taking the boat about for 3+ hours to burn the fuel with a potential engine problem (not to mention the 200 bucks) if there is something I can least investigate in the mean time. From doing some research I am thinking that it may be an anti-siphon valve, but any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are more than welcomed. :confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel line noise / Anti-Siphon valve??

I think you've Answered your own Question.......<br /><br />The anti-siphon valve is pulsating with the fuelpump...... I Bet you have Eletric pumps don't you ?????<br /><br />Don't Worry about it..... Go Boating, Fishing,+ Have Fun.....

KSorber

Cadet

Thanks bondo!!! :) <br /><br />I have no problem taking on any do it yourself project around the boat or the house, but when it comes to modern engines I am claiming extreme ignorance. I’ll change the oil, change impellers, and winterize the things, but anything beyond that I don’t even pretend. I am assuming since these engines are EFI then they have to have electric fuel pumps … correct? They are actually “Crusader 8.2L EFI” engines. <br /><br />I know you said don’t worry about it … is this because this is a normal sound and I just have paid attention before, or because this is something that does not need immediate attention? If it is the later, then I would like to start gathering some information so I have some more questions:<br /><br />If the anti-siphon valve is having problems I am assuming it needs to be fixed or replaced. Can anyone tell me what kind of a task this would be, and if it is something that I should take on myself. Like I said earlier I have a 400 gallon fuel tank, so if the first instruction is “start with an empty fuel tank” or “take the tank out and flip it upside-down” we are taking some serious time and effort.

Bondo

Staff member

You Don't have a problem.....<br />The check-valve is a little Metal ball, held Closed againest a Metal seat, By a Metal spring... It's Viberating....<br />It's the Metal fitting on top of the tank, that the fuel line is clamped to....<br />Like I said....<br /><br /> Don't Worry about it..... Go Boating, Fishing,+ Have Fun.....

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

it is just the normal noise of a gas hog. if you want i will go fishing on that boat of yours to run of that fuel. been looking for a change of pace. but realy go have fun this is a normal noise turn up the radio drink a capt morgans and fish.

mabbott

Seaman Apprentice

I don't believe the anti-siphon valve would be under the tank. Typically they are mounted in the fuel line at the top of the tank where you pull the fuel through the pick up tube. The electric fuel pump should be mounted on the engine. Can you place a mirror down near the bottom of the yank to see what is under the tank? Can you call Luhr's customer support and ask a tech what is under there? Go to the source for true accurate information whenever possible.

KSorber

Cadet

Good idea about the mirror. I will give that a try as soon as I can get to boat. Due to the fact that the compartment is hard to access I would not guarantee that the sound is not coming from the top of the tank and echoing around so I think it is at the bottom, but I still think it is coming from the bottom. I know the sound is not coming from anywhere near the engines, so what other mechanical parts are there around a fuel tank that are tied to the fuel line? The noise is definitely not the rattle of a loose fitting or the banging of a two parts together, it is way too consistent, loud, and rhythmic for that.<br /><br />From the earlier postings (thanks bondo and a.d.mobile) if it is the anti-siphon I have nothing to worry about. I am assuming that my next job is to verify that the noise is in fact coming from the top of tank and not the bottom as I thought. I will use the mirror idea and try to pinpoint it further. I promise that if the noise is from the top I will respond back telling everyone what it is, close this discussion and go have a beer … and leave you all alone.<br /> <br />I have contacted Luhrs (2 days ago) and even told them I was thinking it was the anti-siphon valve. They seemed very hesitant to commit to anything. They are doing research and will call me back. I did not come away from the call beaming with confidence.

Bondo

Staff member

Maybe a Broomstick to the ear.....