fuel line no filters

bbright

Cadet
first off, thank you all for making this forum what it is today, this is my first post.

I recently bought a 2002 hewescraft searunner with same year 125hp 2stroke mercury o/b and a 2005 8hp mercury kicker 4stoke. both engines run off the same line with a T valve in the middle. neither of them have a fuel filter in the main gas line and was wondering if I should install one for each engine after the valve?

also there seems to be a lot of hose, i have to roll it up as to not get in the way. does the length of the hose have an affect on fuel pressure or performance of the engines? both have a hand pump approx. 24 inches from the engines. thanks for any input. i can add a pic if wanted

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: fuel line no filters

if running a built in tank, i would put a combo filter/water separator prior to the T valve, it will work for both. when you install cut out the excess hose. it just make it further for the fuel pump to pull.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Long fuel lines just suck up more solar heat and vaporlock all that much easier. Trim the fat. Each motor has its own filter(s). More is unnecessary. If you would like to anyhow, I'd suggest a spin-on water separating fuel filter on the main line and T from there.

bbright

Cadet

the main engine has been sputtering a bit and runnning rough at low speeds. i plan on upgrading the fuel line as suggested, decarb the engine and add sea foam the the gas. if that doesnt help i guess i'll pay the 90$ an hour mechanic fee...being somewhat new to outboards i would hate to make it worse.

thanks for the info