Fuel line filter

cymru

Seaman
Reading some of the old posts it seems that the particle filter should be upstream of the bulb. Is that correct? Also which way should fuel flow thru the filter: from the strainer to the body of the filter or from the body to the strainer, i.e. should the crud be captured on the outside or inside of the filter sieve?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel line filter

Ideally, the filter should be after the fuel pump and just before the carb(s). It should be installed so fuel flows over the screen, that is, junk will coat the outside of the screen.

Bifflefan

Commander

I always have the filter close to the tank. It may be a little harder to get to, but the junk isnt going throught the pump and the lines then. If i have a problem then all i have to clean is the tank.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yes, but when the pump diaphragm fails, that junk can get into the carb(s) and cause a lean run, resulting in major engine damage. The last thing that should happen to gasoline before it is burned is to be filtered.

With a little care, the tank will stay relatively clean. That said, I do have one filter inside the splashwell, after the primer bulb, and another inside the engine at the carb inlets.

cymru

Seaman

Thanks for the replies and clearing up the doubt.