Fuel Injection outboards

XJoker25xx

Cadet
I have a carbed 150 Vmax and after I dont start it for about 5-6 weeks it gets hard as hell to start up again. My next outboard is def. going to be fuel injected. My stupid question is this- Are EFI's easier than carbed to get started after they sit for about 5-6 weeks?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Injection outboards

All I can say about them, is that if I let my fuel injected car sit for a few weeks, it fires right up. Same thing!

gss036

Commander

I have a carbed mercury and I have let mine sit for as long as 4 months in the winter when our Salmon fishing is shut down, fresh fuel, pump up the bulb and press the the key in, which operates the chokes for the carbs. It might take 3-4 tries but always fire right up.<br />Maybe your choke is working right?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Joker.<br /><br />"Fuel Injection" is not the same in all engines.<br /><br />In 2 stroke engines there are "EFI" engines in which fuel is injected into the air entering the crankcase, and there are "DFI" engines in which the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.<br /><br />Both are easier to start when in good condition than carbed engines, but don't often start as quickly as a car.<br /><br />Then there are the "EFI" 4 strokes that have essentially the same systems used in automobiles. They start promptly every time. My Suzi DF70 will start in 3 seconds after sitting for months, just as my vehicle will. I will never go back to 2 stroke outboards when there is an EFI 4 stroke available that will fit my needs until/unless new technology makes them as easy to use as an EFI 4 stroke.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Mercury EFI 200 HP 2-stroke starts instantly, every time. It starts just as easy as the GMC truck that pulls the boat, regardless of the weather. EFI all the way.