fuel gauge (sending unit) calibration

danny k

Seaman Apprentice
Presently my tank is empty with the guage showing a quarter of a tank remaining. I removed the sending from the tank, with wiring in tact. I then raised and lowered the sending unit float and observed the gauge while doing so. It reacted to the movement, when float all the way up, the gauge showed "full". When lowered the gauge read "empty". This is not an adjustable sending unit. Can I simply "bend" the float lever down to a level that would more closely correspond to the gauge reading? If so, what is the best way to determine just how much to "bend" it. Naturally this is a very thin strip of metal and if I do the "trail and error" method I'm afraid this will eventually snap the float control arm. Any suggestions?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Danny K.<br /><br />Thanks guys for the overheat sending unit warning info. Worked GREAT!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel gauge (sending unit) calibration

If you bend it to give you an accurate "Empty" reading, it will now be inaccurate at the "full" reading (unless it read full for the first half tank). Boat gas gauges are hit & miss at best when it comes to accuracy. Mainly because of the attitude of the boat affects the fuel level in the tank. At the dock the tank may be level. At speed with the bow high the front of the tank will also be high which affects the reading. However, that said, in my view you are best served by setting the float arm so it provides an accurate "Empty" reading (either at speed or at the dock which ever you prefer). Better to know when you are about to run out than to think you have enough to get across the lake one more time and then have to paddle.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: fuel gauge (sending unit) calibration

There is a way to calibrate the guage but it requires a couple of potentiometers ( like a volume control) and you will have to fill and empty the tank several times to get it right or even close. I concur with Upinsmoke, go for accuracy on empty.