fuel gauge reading empty all the time (new sending unit)

brantly

Cadet
let me first say this is the most informative site i have seen so far, also im a new boat owner and have realized they are headaches in the making, (but oh so worth it)

heres the deal... my fuel gauge quit when i was out in San Diego bay this friday. i have a 2000 Reinell 180, i was tubing. well it happend to quit as i hit a huge wave and the boat landed really hard :eek: ( kinda made me nervous when we hit the water again) then my fuel gauge stopped working immediatly after that. it was already bouncing from half to empty as we hit the waves and such. now i get no response from it at all. i bought a new sending unit installed it and still not working. any ideas as to whats going on??? thanks for all you help.

-Brantly :

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
Re: fuel gauge reading empty all the time (new sending unit)

Check all your wiring. Do continuity tests to make sure there are no breaks in the wire. (you won't be able to see them, they are inside the insulation) Next check to make sure the guage is actually working. That slam may have damged the guage.

brantly

Cadet
Re: fuel gauge reading empty all the time (new sending unit)

i figured out what it was finally after reading your post. (harness under the dash came unplugged from the hard landing) wish i wouldve looked in there to begin with. thanks for the info!! :)