Fuel gauge problems

sr79

Seaman
The fuel gauge in my 1979 SeaRay only reads 1/4 when tank is full. I believe Medallion Instrument B-1321 is faulty. When I look on line for a replacement float arm style sender to replace the B-1321 it gives me several options. My question is: are all senders 240-33 ohms, and if so, do I just need to select one with enough swing to match the depth of my gas tank? Thank you....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
forget swing, get moller reed one
moe-035761-10_lg__26359.1558150222.jpg

harringtondav

Commander
^^^^^+1 I replaced my swing arm sender with the above. Old sender was accurate, if I was floating stationary, but bounced limit to limit with any chop. Reed switch shown above holds steady under all conditions.

Simple to pick your model. Measure your fuel tank depth from the mounting surface to tank bottom. Subtract 1" and buy the sender that length.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bear in mind that a reed type fuel sender has stepped readings. So the shallower the fuel tank depth, the greater the stepped readings. I have one and I think it has maybe 7 steps for the entire fuel gauge display.

A swing arm reads in a linear resistance and therefore a smooth gauge reading. Yes I do understand the bounce and such in rough water, but it does read a lot smoother at idle and smooth cruising. Just a warning, or understanding of reed type senders.

jbcurt00

Staff member
SR79, pls dont post multiple topics about the same subject

the dups have been deleted

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
worth noting that depending on where in the world you are...these things are factored Polar opposites
so in Europe they read at opposite ends of the resistance reading than the US does.

harringtondav

Commander
Hi
worth noting that depending on where in the world you are...these things are factored Polar opposites
so in Europe they read at opposite ends of the resistance reading than the US does.

...Love your peat dried whiskey QBhoy . Gonna have to have to take a couple more neat shots to decipher your response.:joyous: