fuel gauge problem

bipp

Cadet
I have a 1978 glastron 140 hp mercruiser. The fuel gauge needs adjusting. I took the sending unit apart because of an erratic needle. That is fixed. But I noticed that the sending unit in it's full travel,which would be empty, only showed 1/4 of a tank left.There is no adjustment on the back of the gauge. The wire between the sending unit and the gauge is about 8 feet long. Can I shorten or lengthen the wire to change the needle position on the gauge? Or can I add a resistor in line to change the position of the needle?<br /><br /> Bipp, thanks for looking

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel gauge problem

Take the Sender back out of the Tank,+ Bend the Rod to adjust it......

bipp

Cadet

Bondo, even if I bend the arm, this will not work. The contact inside the sending unit that rides on the windings is one or two wires from running off the end, if it runs of the end, it will not make contact. I had it in my hand, all pluged in and functioning, I could see inside it.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it runs off the end you get infinite resistance. Infinite resistance reads 'empty' on the gauge.

bipp

Cadet

You guys have been doing this alot longer than me, I will try bending the arm.<br /><br /> thanks Bipp