Fuel gauge not working

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all, even though were are still covered in snow I can't stop thinking about our boat. The only issue I had last season was the fuel gauge was stuck on full:confused:. I know my 1997 Bayliner capri w/merc 3.0 I/O is good on gas but not that good. Any ideas on where I should start looking into the problem. all the other gauges work great. At the start of the season the gauge was on empty, after I filled it it never dropped from full. Thank you in advance.

Jeremy

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Fuel gauge not working

Hey all, even though were are still covered in snow I can't stop thinking about our boat. The only issue I had last season was the fuel gauge was stuck on full:confused:. I know my 1997 Bayliner capri w/merc 3.0 I/O is good on gas but not that good. Any ideas on where I should start looking into the problem. all the other gauges work great. At the start of the season the gauge was on empty, after I filled it it never dropped from full. Thank you in advance.

Jeremy

Ayuh,.... At the gas gauge Sender, mounted to the top of the gas tank...

My guess is it's stuck, or shorted out...

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I will head to the storage unit this week and check around.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Or open circuited. I forget which is full, short or open, but what happens a lot in tanks that do a lot of sloshing, is the the wiper arm that changes the electrical circuit as the fuel level changes is made up of a very fine wire and a movable arm that moves up and down that wire. After significant usage, either the contact on the arm wears through, or it wears the wire till it open circuits and locks the meter in one extreme.

Mark

Bondo

Staff member

I forget which is full, short or open,

Ayuh,.... touchin' the sender wire to ground, should Peg the gauge to Full...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I moved this over to the electrical forum, if you look in the stickies at the top of the electrical forum, you will find detailed troubleshooting instructions to help you find the problem.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don. I haven't had time to go to the boat and we are expecting another foot of snow this weekend. Booooo. Seems like boating is years away. :(

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you go to the top of the forum, click Advanced Search and the words "Fuel Gauge Not Working" , then click "Titles Only" you will be rewarded with 50 responses to fuel gauge posts. Many of those have the diagram of the fuel gauge system and how to trouble shoot it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you go to the top of the forum, click Advanced Search and the words "Fuel Gauge Not Working" , then click "Titles Only" you will be rewarded with 50 responses to fuel gauge posts. Many of those have the diagram of the fuel gauge system and how to trouble shoot it.

Haven't looked at the sticky lately have you? That work has already been done.