fuel filter

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have put an extra fuel filter on after fuel pump but before carbs(aq130a) should this filter be full of fuel or just a trickle of fuel less than half an inch????

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: fuel filter

It should not be on there period.
Take it out, repair the line correctly (and not w/ automotive rubber hose and clamps) and put a real, legal, and safe water seperating fuel filter on it.

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

it was on there just to check but still didnt answer the question teacher

chiefalen

Captain

is it the glass one about 3-4 inchs long seen them in west marine.never saw one in person on a boat seen in real real old boats glass check bell type.i would think when it's running full with no bubbles.
In my own inexpert opinion.

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for your reply but no i have one of them filters before the fuel pump i just added a small see through one after the pump to check the amount of fuel the pump is kicking out

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

So what is the real problem?????.....post that instead of going on about inline filter you cobbled in.

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have put an extra fuel filter on after fuel pump but before carbs(aq130a) should this filter be full of fuel or just a trickle of fuel less than half an inch????

to quote the above (my apologies bomar) as mine is just a trickle

Maclin

Admiral

Was this install done to aid in diagnosing something? How does the boat run?

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

How does the boat run?

like pooh!!!! goes wot for a little while (20 secs) then coughs splutters and will only do about 5knts till it seems the float bowls on carb re-fill then goes wot again for 10 secs then splut splut splut so i put the filter on after the fuel pump and it dont seem like enough fuel is in there my only question is should the filter fill up with fuel?????

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It sounds like your fuel pump is defective and/or your fuel pickup screen (in the tank) is plugged with debris.

You only need 1 filter. (by now you probably know that;))

like pooh!!!! goes wot for a little while (20 secs) then coughs splutters and will only do about 5knts till it seems the float bowls on carb re-fill then goes wot again for 10 secs then splut splut splut so i put the filter on after the fuel pump and it dont seem like enough fuel is in there my only question is should the filter fill up with fuel?????

Maclin

Admiral

".......should the filter fill up with fuel?????"

Yes, it is not an I.V., it is a fuel line to a 130 hp engine.....;)

renny1

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol....... maclin i guess thats the only way i could really explain it an I.V drip is exactly what it looks like thanks for all your input i already have a spare fuel pump so will install that and also take a look at the fuel pick up

tommays

Admiral

What you could do is test the vacume on the inlet side of the pump 4" or so to look for a problem there and test the pressure on the outlet side of the pump 4 to 6 PSI ?

The two tests will take the guess work out of it