Fuel Filter?

jdenton

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased a '94 Ranger 481VS with '94 Merc 150 XRi. It has twin (16) gallon tanks. Does anyone know if this rig has any type of fuel filter system and if so where is located (boat or motor)? If none, what be my best best to filter my fuel. No problems with rig yet, just wanting to stay ahead of the game. thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Filter?

Hey, JDenton. If you don't find one, spend the few bux extra and put in a cartridge type water seperator/filter with a clear bowl at the bottom. It will save you serious grief in the future.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . . . <br />JB
smile.gif

jdenton

Seaman Apprentice

Hey JB. If I have to put one in, would you recommend before primer bulb or after. I have had boat out about a dozen times and haven't had to use bulb at all. It hits right off cold or hot. I would think as close to motor as possible would be best, but am new to the boating scene and would rather have an experienced opinion. I really appreciate all the information this board has provided me. How did people get along before? Probably a lot of trial and error!<br />Thanks

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The closest to the motor, the better. Sometimes the layout wont work with the filter after the bulb. I have mine after the tank line runs close to the motor in the bilge then the bulb then to the motor.<br />It's been fine for 25 years that way.

Paddling

Seaman

Hi JDenton, the water separating cartridge fuel filter is the only filter worth using. Put it between your tank and your primer bulb, that way your primer will pull air out of the filter when you change it. Make sure your engine also has an in-line filter of some type. If you really want to see whats going on use clear hose between the filter and the engine. I've run clear fuel rated hose on my boats for the last fifteen years and have seen water,trash or air leaks before they caused any damage.
smile.gif

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Denton, you already have a water sep filter on your motor...pull the cowling an look at the starboard side....looks like a oil filter with a wire coming out the bottom....read your owners manual it will tell you what you need to know....and fer gosh sakes dont add another filter "just cause"...the one you have works as good or better than anything you could add.....

krosemond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Learn where your filter is and how to change it. I carry a spare and a quart of premix to fill up the new one before spinning it on. Just last week on a camping trip to Cape Lookout, NC the boat started spitting and sputtering 3 miles away from the bight (out in the ocean). Changed the filter and she ran great for the rest of the week. But I have a 22 year old in hull tank that is notorious for collecting water, but I am not sure how. I took on bad gas in the keys in the spring, and became very aware of how an Outboard will not run on water.

jdenton

Seaman Apprentice

I have located the filter, but do not have manual for motor. How do you go about changing it? Is there a website where I can buy one and a spare? I do not have a merc dealer very close to me.