fuel filter to be or not to be? that is the question.

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 85hp suzuki out board that is real pickey when it comes to any air in the fuel filter. the guy i bought it from said it wont run with air in it an i have tried every thing to get it out but cant. the boat runs perfect at 23mph, it will run all day at that speed if i put the hammer down it will do about 35gps any where from 1/2 mile to 3 miles then all of a sudden it sounds like it is bogging down and it slows down untill it comes off plane. i know this can be a number of things and yes i just rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump. while chaseing ghosts in the system i was thinking the in line fuel filter could be a little too big and that could be part of the problem. then I started to think why is it necissary to have a in line fuel filter? it's job is to catch any particles to keep it out of the carb, but nothing should get past the 5 micron filter in the fuel water seperator! My system is like most, fuel tank to water seperator to prime bulb to inline fuel filter to fuel pump. if the water seperator can catch and filter out invisable partilces of water it would catch any thing that would be large enough to clog a jet in the carb so why not eliminate the fuel filter all together and have one less thing to replace or that could cause a problem? i didn't even think about it untill now but i did what most of us have been trained to do, the boat came with a fuel filter so we keep it there and never ask why we just spend the money from time to time to replace it and keep doing it that way because that is how it has allways been done. I can see where you would need it if you didn't have the water seperator but this is just double filtration double resistance on sucking the fuel and one more thing to cause problems. what do you guys think?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: fuel filter to be or not to be? that is the question.

All of the on board filters I have looked at are not completely full while running at speed.

If you think you are having fuel starvation problems, then hook up a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge and test the system to see where the problem is located.
also Use a piece of clear tubing to check to see if there is air getting sucked into the system.

Look in the frequently asked questions part of this forum and read the testing fuel system

robert graham

Admiral

My 90HP Yamaha has the fuel/water separator filter and the under cowl filter with the plastic bowl and screen and I've never experienced any fuel flow issues and I kinda like the redundancy of having both filters. I doubt your filters are the problem, maybe check fuel tank pick-up, fittings, primer bulb fittings and check valves, quick-disconnect on front of cowl, O-rings and seals in fuel delivery system for possible air leaks. Good luck and let us know what you find!:)

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the fast input guys, I have a feeling it might be a bad check valve comming out of the tank that is causing the problem. i have never messed with one before but it looks like there is a round weld on the top of the tank and the fitting looks to be prob 3/4" square. does that unscrew or if i put a wrench on it and start twisting is it going to snap off? thanks

Anti Syphon Valve? Try and work it back and forth while loosening, "Murphy" loves this busniness.

Bluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In your post you say your running a 5 micron filter this may be to restrictive 10 micron is the normal size

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

like I said before, test with pressure/vacuum gauge to see if there is a restriction or not and then test for sucking air before taking things apart.

yamatech43

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, get a 20 dollar vacuum gauge kit and get a piece of clear vinyl tubing like yam40 said, place inline just ahead of the engine mounted bowl filter....vac should be well below 5" at w.o.t. and less than 2" at idle....if you see bubbles it could be from high vacuum(air gets separated at extreme vac) or could be air getting sucked in. If your vacuum is high check the tank VENT and then the coast guard valve, which I always just punch out(if i'm upside down fuel leak is just one of my problems). Good luck.