fuel filter replacement

looking to replace my fuel filter. I have a 1993 4.3lx. It's an inline filter with a threaded connection for a hard fuel line on one end and a clamp for a soft hose on the other end. I'm not finding one like it on this site or others. It's a small silver canister type filter similar to ones I've seen on auto applications. Can I pick one up at a auto store or is this a special filter for marine use.

Thanks

Re: fuel filter replacement

yep, that looks like the one. of course it says, "not available" which is just my luck. Are these filters any different then an auto fuel filter? Can I pick one up at an Auto Zone type place?

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a water seperating fuel filter too? If so just remove that filter and just repalce the water seperating filter. They stopped using that filter from what I can see. My 1994 4.3LX doesnt have one. Fuel line comes form the tank into the seperator and then to the fuel pump. If y have the seperator. If you dont have a seperator just order the kit and put it in instead. Dont use a automotive filter. They are not Coast guard approved.(maybe im wrong)

thanks cooter. where does the water separator filter attach? since the current filter is much smaller and has a bracket to hold it in place.

totx

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last edited: