Fuel Filter on Blueband Merc 850

Nial

Seaman
Does anyone know how I clean the fuel filter on about 1985 Blueband Merc 850. It's big metal looking thing with a weird top on it. I never dealt with one before so any help would be good. Should I just remove it and place a couple of those small inline filters in. Motor has been spluttering badly lately and stalls when put in gear. I suspect fuel lines are dirty and need replacing, does the rubber fall apart in the line and get washed into the engine caue i undid a screw on this metal filter and small black bits fell out with the fuel.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel Filter on Blueband Merc 850

I believe what you're referring to is a fuel stainer. It keeps the big chunks out of the carbs. Most of the time it just needs blowing off with some compressed air. If it's varnished up, then a Gumout sort of product is in order. Earlier 850s had stand-alone strainers. Later ones were attached to the fuel pump.<br /><br />There may also be finer-meshed strainers on your carbs. If the hoses attach to cylinders mounted on the top of the carbs, the strainers are inside there.<br /><br />If it's never been done before, your fuel pump needs rebuilding. The kits aren't expensive and they're definately not Rocket Science to do. The fuel lines are all but guaranteed to be rotton by now. You can't get replacements anymore. But you can get brass fittings and braided fuel hose to get around that problem. Probably for less money, too. Those lines were always rather expensive.<br /><br />There are 7/16 head drain screws at the bottom of each carb. The top one is a cinch. The bottom one will make you cuss in three or four languages. As long as you're at it, remove them and flush plenty of gas through the system once it's all together. That should help flush any crud out of the carbs.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fuel Filter on Blueband Merc 850

Nial<br />I use ordinary RYCO Auto fuel fliters connected along the fuel line. They work fisrt class and don't compromose the flow.