Fuel feed problem on 1993 Johnson 25HP

alkoz

Cadet
HI,

I made the mistake of saying "I like fishing from the kayak better than my boat" in front of my boat. Since then, it's giving me all kinds of problems.

First I had a bad kill switch. While fixing that I must have disturbed the ingnition switch and had to replace it. I'm a total newbie at this, but am learning alot just from reading old posts.

New problem. I pump up the suction ball then push in prime on ignition switch. Engine will run great for 2 seconds then die. If I put the prime solenoid to the bypass position(lever forward)and squeeze bulb, I can keep engine running. I'm guessing that it's running because I'm forcing fuel directly into the carb throat(this is all from stuff I've read). Do I have this right so far?

The main fuel line goes into a T. On hose goes to the primer solenoid and the other goes to under the carb. What I don't know is what happens to the hose that goes under the carb. I'm guessing it's the main fuel line that goes to the bowl. I have no idea how the bowl, float, and needle valves work,,,so that's what I have to learn. It sound like mmy problem is in this area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Al

D

DJ

Re: Fuel feed problem on 1993 Johnson 25HP

What happens when you push the key in while the engine is running?

alkoz

Cadet

I'm a little fuzzy on the details since I had my tow kids with me and they were distracting me. If I had the switch pushed in, the engine would run as long as the swtich was pushed. BUT, if I turned the lever on the solenoid to the manual prime position, it would do a pretty good job of running on it's own.

It sounds like fuel is making it to the throat ok, but there's a clog in the other fuel path. A few years ago, I had a simular problem and started pulling some parts of the carb apart. I ended up finding a small shard of metal in the inlet port. It's been a few years and I forget exactly where it was.

thanks,
al

alkoz

Cadet

I FINALLY got it working. I spent ALOT of time reading thru the older posts to get ideas. I decided to pull the carb and disassemble it. I found a bunch of gunk in the bottom of the bowl where the jet screws in and I found the float was stuck in the up position. I pull every jet and part I could pul of and soaked the whole thing in cleaner. While putting it back together, I did one of my stupid things(I'll get to it later).

After reassembly, I still can't keep it from stalling out. I raised the white flag and called a buddy who races boats. He came over and first thing he noticed was the spray in the carb looked odd. We pulled the carb apart and just then I noticed it. I put the jet/port thingie in the wrong spot. There is a hole on top of the air intake where it should have gone, I went and put in an empty threaded hole. After we put it back together, it fired right up. It used to run rough at idle, but now it's smooth.

Al