Fuel Efficiency 40hp "Big Twin guys"

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi there,<br /><br />Yesterday I cruised around on the river for about an hour. It seems that I will not be able to go very far on a full (6 gal) tank. What type of fuel efficiency do you all get in your big twins? Is there any way to hook up a second fuel tank for longer trips?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Sal

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Fuel Efficiency 40hp "Big Twin guys"

Well, now you're discovering the Big Twins' Big Secret. They're not very fuel efficient. If they're running right, you should be able to cruise for a couple of hours on the 6-gal tank. At wide open throttle, you'll do worse than that. I run mine at about 75%, which seems to be its sweet spot.<br /><br />If I'm going to be out all day, I load a second 6 gal. tank in the boat and just switch connectors on the engine to the second tank at some point. If you do it right, you can switch tanks without shutting the engine down, since it will run a while on the fuel in the carb bowl.<br /><br />Now, you say yours is running "pretty well." If it's running perfectly, you'll get better fuel economy. As long as it's not flooding due to a bad needle and seat in the carb or a bad float, you can adjust the carb's high speed jet (if you have an adjustable one) for best performance and economy. I'm not sure when they changed to the fixed jet carb, though, so you may not have the high speed adjustment.<br /><br />What I figure for my 35hp is that I can fish for half a day without worrying about running out of fuel. But that's fishing, so I'm trolling or have the engine off most of the time. Even trolling, though, uses fuel at an alarming rate.<br /><br />You'll figure out how far you can go. But, with the plastic fuel tanks not being all that expensive, even with a second hose and bulb, the best bet is a second tank for those days you'll be on the water for hours.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If you run full throttle, without stopping, that engine will run about 1 hr. on 6 gal.

CATransplant

Admiral

R.Johnson,<br /><br />That sounds about right, although my 35 will go about 20 minutes longer than that at WOT. But, then, I never go that far that fast. At 75% throttle, it does a lot better, and still cruises nicely on plane. <br /><br />It's a little scary, though, isn't it, the amount of fuel that 40hp uses at WOT. Those pesky 2-strokes...especially the older ones. <br /><br />Still, they're nice outboards, despite their thirst. Maybe a 12-gallon tank is a good idea, but I like having a pair of 6-gallon ones. On days where I'm just going to be trolling for two or three hours, I leave the second one in the tow vehicle. Plus, I hate lifting 12 gallons of gas.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Catrasplant! I agree, but at full throttle , I'll be forty miles away, but at 3/4 throttle where will you be? And how much fuel to get there?

CATransplant

Admiral

Ha! Well, let's see. I do 25 mph at WOT with my boat and my '58 35 hp. At 75%, I do about 20. So...you'll be way ahead of me, either way. Now, just wait 'til I get that old Johnson on a 10' hydroplane. Then we can talk.... :D

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Guys,<br /><br />I went out today for about an hour on a half tank. It seemed like we were cruising fine until about fifty minutes into it it died. I thouugh that it got a little hot and shut off but i need to check it out. Truth is, six gallons isn't enough. I need at least 12 maybe more. It is such a hassle to stop and refuel. <br /><br />Sal

CATransplant

Admiral

What size is your boat? If this is not planing your boat, then it may be running poorly, which can also affect fuel economy.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The motor is a 40 hp. Should I consider using some seafoam, or go straight to rebuilding the carb? The cylinders and pistons are in really good condition. I cleaned the heck out of the new(used) head and top of the pistons two days ago.

tunnelwood

Recruit

I am not sure if this is correct, but i talked to a retired omc mechanic a few years ago about a 1963 40 horse that I had. He said that part of the fuel efficiency problem, was caused from left over crank case fuel mixture being dumped into the water instead of being fed back into the carbs. He said he owned one that he modified by adding a return hose back to his fuel tank. Maybe some oneelse will know if this is True. Good luck

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I once figured the mpg on a long trip I took using marine charts to determine the milage traveled. Running mostly around 12 - 18 mph and short runs at wot the 40hp gave 7 mpg average. At that time I was running on two 6 gal tanks. I have since installed a 14 gallon permanent tank in the bow. <br /><br />As far as gph goes, I average less than 2 gallons per hour running between half and 3/4 throttle. That usually translates into 12-22 mph. <br /><br />Running fast most of the time, say 3/4 to full throttle will use about 3 gph. I never ran WOT for more than a few minutes. If I did run WOT for an hour I can see it using 4 gph with no problem. But who does that?<br /><br />One trip on a lake just sight seeing with a full load of adults the motor was just off idle doing 3-5 mph (I'm guessing) and barely used a gallon in one hour. <br /><br />I think the newer 40's probably get better milage than the older 40's. <br /><br />It sure uses a lot less gas than those 60's V4 60hp Evinrudes!!!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

My dads 1963 40hp SeaHorse would run about an hour at WOT on the 5 imperial gallon tank. We could make it across the lake and back on one tank, about 25 miles.

CATransplant

Admiral

Two tanks is the answer if you have one of these older Big Twins. If you go with just one tank, always make sure it's full before you head to the lake, and check it from time to time. The stupid gauge on my tank doesn't work, so I just pick it up once in a while to check it's weight.<br /><br />I never add gas to the tank itself, due to the hassle of measuring the oil. What I have is a 6 gallon plastic gas can (I found mine at a marine store). I mix all my fuel in it at the gas station, then use it to top off my boat tank immediately after returning from an outing.<br /><br />Since I take the tank out of the boat after each trip, it's easy.<br /><br />Still, if I'm going to be more than half a day on the lake, I take the second tank along. I usually stow it up in the bow of the boat, since my little 14.5' trihull is a little stern-heavy anyhow, what with 50lb of fuel, two batteries, and my lard-butt in the back half of the boat. <br /><br />I should move the batteries, but I'm just too darned lazy and don't want to spend the time working on the boat when I could be fishing.