fuel delivery problem

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 85 baretta with a 140 mercruiser i/o. i am attempting to start the motor but it wont start. i disconnected the fuel line from the engine and turned it over. i am getting no fuel to the engine at all. i put 4 gallons in the tank and still no fuel will come out... exactly how does these work? does it have a fuel pump in the gas tank or some type of vacuum on the motor? What seems to be wrong with it to not be getting gas. I have plenty of compression and spark.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel delivery problem

Pour a bit of gas directly into the carb....
Will it start?.....:confused:
If it does, look in the sticky's at the top of this page, there is an excellent one on "Trouble-shooting your engine's fuel system"....
For starters, I would get a 1 gallon can of fresh gas & stick the fuel line in it & see if it will start....
This will help isolate what side of the system is problem....;)

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Check the pick up tube for clogging or the anti shiphor valve (could malfunction). This is where I started when my 470 was doing the same thing. It ended up being the fuel pump in the end but the pick up tube and shiphor valve are inexpensive and worth replacing anyway. Good Luck.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't pour alot of gas into the carb and have a fire extinguisher handy in case.
Sounds to me like the fuel pump is bad or the inlet screen is clogged.

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

what is an inlet screen? and also how do i remove the anti siphon tube from the gas tank? my gas tank is not metal and is built under the floor in the front of the boat. the p/o has a hole cut out to be able to get to the anti siphon tube. i screwed off the side tube of it that connects to the rubber hose. there was a big bolt around the tube but after i loosened that the tube still wont come out. i am wanting to check to see if it is clogged or that ball is blocking it. any ideas? i looked at the metal gas tank from my donor boat and that one just screwed out of the gas tank but when i try to screw this one out of my tank is seems like it is not meant to be removed... any ideas?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

There should be a 90 degree fitting directly connected tot he anti siphin valve which connects to the pick up tube in the tank some of these have a reubber groumet to help seal the system. I was stated earlier I would use a test tank to see if your pump is actually working. Do you have a clear plastic tube connected to your pump leading to the throat of your carb? if so does it have fuel in it if does that means your diaphram in the pump is ruptured and the pimp needs replaced. But if it were me I would start at the tank and work my way forward to the carb. But in this situation I'm leaning toward the pump!

DerekBogie

Seaman Apprentice

well i took apart the lines to the fuel pump to the carb.. when the line is off the fuel pump pumps out fuel.. i put the line back on the carb and i cannot see any fuel dumping into the carb. i put gas into the top and it started for 2 seconds.. i cannot get her to stay running.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

there should be a filter where the fuel line goes into the carb on the back. check that, the float could be stuck or the jets inside could be clogged from bad gas.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as someone already stated it could be either the inlet filter on the carb or the floats could be stuck.