Fuel Delivery Mystery

Shaggy1961

Recruit
Hello, I lost my account (two email addresses ago) so I'm starting over. Getting back into the outboard world with a little Xpress X56 and 125 Merc (2+2). Motor seems very strong and hit 49MPH (GPS) on first trip. Previous owner had not run it in over a year but checked out OK. He had paperwork showing the motor was rebuilt two years ago.
I drained the gas tank, replaced the gray bulb hose and filter in the motor. Started fine but had rough idle. Once lift pump (accelerator pump) kicked in the thing ran like a scalded dog. I wanted to fix the idle problem so pulled the fuel pump and it was full of little pieces of lining from the old gray fuel hose. New filter was also full. Rebuilt the fuel pump, another filter and I'm ready to go right? WRONG!
It's almost like I've reversed the problem. The idle worked perfectly after rebuilding the pump. First trip after it ran OK but then dropped off to 3K rpms. Stopped the boat and it would not get past 1200 rpms. Removed the fuel filter thinking debris was leftover but it was clean. Put back together and it took off then dropped off again to 3000 rpms. Again, after slowing to idle the motor has no power and won't accelerate.
I'm stumped as to why it ran perfectly at high rpms with a fuel pump full of crap and now will barely pull itself after initial startup. Would normally think carbs but it has moments of greatness which would not indicate something major in the carbs. Plus it ran so well before I jacked with the fuel pump. I would almost trade the bad idle problem for this. I opened the fuel door just to make sure there wasn't a venting problem. No change but when I open the fuel system it seems to run OK for a few minutes then back to bogging and wheezing. I'll probably pull the pump again to see what's going on but any ideas are appreciated.
PS. Pumped the bulb to full pressure several times with no change. Also, when I pulled the fuel filter left the output open and started the motor for a sec and it seemed to be pumping fine.

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Over a year?
Carburetors needs cleaning...unless it's efi.
Fuel will jell like honey after awhile.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Do you have the carbs on back where they should be. As far as I know, the top carb is different from the lower…being the 2+2.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Top 2 carburetors work ( meter out fuel ) at idle.----Bottom 2 carburetors start working at about 1800 RPM + or so.