fuel consumtion, 8hp?

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice
what should an 8 hp 1996 Evenrude use for fuel at WOT on an 8 ft Hardbottom Caribe RIB? It has a #50 orifice (.060") which i think is the factory recommendation, but sounds very rich to me. Also, when i disconnect the fuel hose it speeds up and smooths out for the last dying moments.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: fuel consumtion, 8hp?

Jim - The rule of thumb for any outboard is 10% of the hp of the motor in gallons per hour at WOT - - so for your rig it would be .8 of a gallon per hour. A 250 hp is going to burn 25 gallons per hour and twin 250s - 50 gallons per hour. To round yours up to 1 gallon per hour means that you could run your boat round the clock for two days and use the same fuel as twin 250s would burn in an hour.<br /><br />The speed up at shut down is perfectly normal and is due to running out of fuel.

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, SoLittle! It's still a puzzle to me why the boat would run better and faster when i disconnect the fuel line though, if it has the proper mixture to begin with? Is there a way to check the float level on that beast without a guage?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Jim - I don't know your specific motor but most of em can be checked by taking the cover off the float bowl and turning it upside down. The float should be parallel with the body.