fuel consumption.....

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice
is there an approximate rate of fuel consumption, at full throttle, that i should reasonably expect from an 8 hp Evinrude of 1996 vintage? She has the factory orifice (#50=.060"), but seems to run rich and is hungry.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: fuel consumption.....

For almost all gasoline burning engines at full throttle, consumption in gallons per hour is 10% of it's HP. That is to say, your 8hp engine will consume about 0.8 US gallons per hour at full throttle. For a metric conversion, multiply the HP by 0.4 to get liters per hour. <br /> <br />There's little difference between 2 and 4 stroke engines, new and old at full throttle. There are a couple exceptions to the rule however.

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Paul; i'm burning twice that, and it seems rich to me, the way the 1996 8 Hp Evinrude 'wobbles'. Also it no longer planes the dinghy since i tore the carb apart to clear some debris. I have no ready access to a gasket kit, so make do with the original stuff...

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jim, I would get on-line and order a gasket kit for your carb. Also, did you make sure your float is level, and your pick up tube positioned right? I personally haven't done a carb on an 8 horse, but since your troubles started after your clearing the debris, I think a 'do-over' is in order.<br /><br />take care,<br />fp

uncwillie

Seaman Apprentice

thanks funpilot; you're probably right, and i can take that carb off and on in my sleep now. Just wish that it was easier to get parts here. One of the downsides is you are on a perpetual hunt for things or awaiting an expensive delivery. Still, when the beer costs 4 bucks a case and the gasoline is 15 cents a gallon who can complain...

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, Jim. Your beer is about what we pay per gal of fuel... ($2.25 per gal)... not sure I would ever drink 15 cents a gal beer... if the reverse was true. lol.<br /><br />Let us know what you find. good luck<br /><br />fp